Thursday 26 July 2012

Cafe Gourmand, 53 Lexington St

Time travel will never be possible, apparently due to the rules of physics. I understand these very little. I do however understand that popping into Cafe Gourmand is the closest we may come to experiencing time travel. Perhaps not everyones first choice if they could travel through time, and granted HG Wells' The Time Machine may not have been quite as gripping if the protagonists main adventure was a trip out to lunch. However for those of us who count lunching as an adventure, then Cafe Gourmand is a good place to start.

As soon as you step inside Cafe Gourmand the pace of life seems to slow down. The decor is old style Parisian cafe, nothing over the top, few antique wooden tables and chairs neat and tidy display, marble counter. Simple and concise. The staff are efficient, relaxed and friendly and service always comes with a smile or two. The noise levels are low just the odd murmur from the seated customers. It's a truly pleasant place to be, the rush of the modern world no longer exists once you step inside, your life is your own again.

As regards food it's nothing too special, just simple classic French fare done well, some more so than others. In terms of takeaway food there are a range of sandwiches and baguettes on offer as well as the odd salad. I can vouch for the roasted beef sandwich with salad and horseradish (see picture) - and also the bacon and slow roasted tomato on toasted sourdough (£4) though the croque monsieur is a little on the small side, mine barely touched the sides. The salads often look tempting, I tried the fennel and cucumber, with a portion of deep filled quiche Lorraine. (£6.50). Good value but neither were anything special.

Now at this point I am going to go against my principles, which doesn't sit pretty with me but nevertheless, I shall do it, only for you mind. Here goes - I think sitting in here may be a better option than takeaway. I say this because while waiting for my order I eye spied a customer tucking into a rare beef salad (£7.50) and it looked good, I was a little jealous for two reasons. 1. He got to enjoy the ambience of Cafe Gourmand for longer and 2. It looked better than what I had ordered. I would say it' a perfect spot for a lunch meeting - romantic or business -, especially if you're looking to escape the hustle and bustle of Soho.

I find myself going back to cafe Gourmand more to enjoy the whole ambience, rather than the food alone. Its a cafe with real personality, the quiet silent type. Doesn't go shouting about itself, just quietly gets on with the job at hand. An attitude I like.

Rating: 3/5
Cost: £(£)

Opening Times: Mon-Fri 8am - Late, Sat - 10am -Late, Closed Sun.

0 comments:

Post a Comment